Accounting Supervisor, Community Initiatives
Community Initiatives is an Oakland-based nonprofit service organization providing over 100 nonprofit projects with fiscal sponsorship services including tax-exemption, accounting and financial oversight, risk management and insurance, legal compliance, grants management, payroll, and human resource services. Our fiscally sponsored projects (FSPs) represent all nonprofit sectors––arts and culture, education, environment, health, human services, and public affairs. While many of our projects are in the San Francisco Bay Area, others operate in various states and international locations.
This position supports the following areas: processing, recording, updating, and reconciling fiscal information in compliance with established policies. This position will have a working relationship with the various projects sponsored by Community Initiatives, as well as provide support for other positions within the administrative section of the organization.
- Responsible for the monthly close of the general ledger for the Community Initiatives Admin Fund and all FSP Funds. Recommend and drive process improvements to ensure financial close timeliness and accuracy.
- Responsible for the accounting for all donation receipts generated from various online donation platforms.
- Responsible for the accounting of all check and wire receipts.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of general journal entries including, but not limited to, the
- semi-monthly payroll and benefits journals.
- Prepares or supervises the preparation of monthly account reconciliations and bank reconciliations.
- Assists in preparation for the annual financial statement audit and other agency audits as required.
- Research and resolve accounting issues.
- Assist with special projects as required.
- Other duties as may be assigned from time-to-time.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business with an Accounting concentration.
- 5+ years of accounting experience.
- 1-2 years supervisory experience preferred.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, advanced skills preferred (such a pivot tables).
- Familiarity with using budgeting software such as Adaptive Insights is a plus, particularly if experienced with implementation of the system.
- Skilled in using other Microsoft applications (e.g., Word and Outlook).
- Experience with Sage Intacct accounting software.
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a dynamic team-oriented environment and exceptional customer service skills.
- Self-starter with the skills to work independently with minimal supervision and have the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines simultaneously.
- The individual must be dedicated to nonprofit service, and comfortable with change.
- Working knowledge of Paylocity, major donation platforms, and Salesforce.
- Accounting & Cash Management experience.
- Non-profit experience.
- CPA preferred, but not required.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines without comprising quality or integrity.
- Detail oriented, organized and efficient; able to work in a fast-paced fluid environment with minimal guidance.
- Ability to follow through on assigned tasks as well as manage tasks delegated to others.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate in a professional manner and create clear, concise and appropriate documentation.
- Demonstrated proficiency in performing the essential functions required of the position with the ability to learn new skill sets and assume additional responsibility.
Working for Community Initiatives
CI offers a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision
- 401k and 3% employer match
- Basic life insurance, AD&D, STD & LTD
- 4 weeks of paid vacation
- 12 days of paid sick leave
- 11 paid holidays
- 4 floating holidays
This is a full-time position that includes excellent benefits and may have the ability to work remotely part-time. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter with salary expectations and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Community Initiatives is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to age, race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, marital status, disability or protected veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.