groundWork is a nonprofit, nonpartisan advocacy organization that advances quality early learning and development as the most transformative strategy to improve school outcomes, increase the life-long success of Ohio’s children, and lay a strong foundation for economic prosperity in our state.
groundWork leverages advocacy leadership, research, and partnerships to advance high-quality early learning and development at the state and federal levels. We blend expertise in policy development, thought leadership, communications, and stakeholder engagement to connect and mobilize key constituencies and policymakers around early learning opportunities.
To achieve our outcomes, groundWork is focused on the following strategies:
- Creating statewide consensus about the critical value of early learning and development;
- Working directly with policymakers to build an aligned and effective early childhood system from birth to 3rd grade;
- Partnering with early learning, education, civic, business, and community leaders across the state to create and leverage advocacy partnerships; and
- Providing timely and thorough research and analysis of Ohio’s early learning system, policies, and advocacy opportunities.
- State budget advocacy that played a significant role in garnering more than $700 million in state investments in early learning and development.
- Formation of an Early Childhood Cabinet and Early Childhood Advisory Council at the state level.
- Creation of a Children’s Caucus in the Ohio Legislature with a top priority of advancing quality early learning and development.
- Research and communications that built a strong case for the importance of early childhood, with more than 200 research and policy reports.
- Held 2,000 legislative meetings, early childhood site visits, and candidate forums involving stakeholders across Ohio.
- Organized 15 local advocacy committees; provided advocacy training to more than 2,000 ELD providers and others; and providing ongoing advocacy resources, communication, and leadership.